Monday, November 15, 2004

Audio Commentary, Part II

OK, I finally got around to seeing Star Wars IV-VI with the commentaries. They're mainly not bad. George Lucas seems very monotone and doesn't really present any new information. I did like how he described the drafting process, such as the whole Jabba's Palace scenes were included because there was nothing else to Return of the Jedi.

The best commentary is, by far, The Empire Strikes Back with the director, Irvin Kershner. He adds some life to the stories by mentioning certain facts, he even voices the guide track for Vader in one part.

There is one scene that gets me every time and I have to comment on it. It's in The Empire Strikes Back when Obi-Wan says "That boy was our only hope" and Yoda says "No, there is another." This tells me that Yoda is the one that knows about the twins, not Obi-Wan. One would assume that being in an astral form, you'd have access to a lot of information and I doubt that Obi-Wan simply forgot such a fact. I could see Padmé talking to Yoda about the twins in order to have maximum dark side protection.

There is a scene in ROTJ when Vader becomes aware of sister and says "Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me" OK, this is coming from the guy who found out not too long ago that Obi-Wan was still alive. He didn't even know he had a son until the Emperor told him in ESB.

Anyways, Yes the commentaries are liveable. If you ever have some free time with the Trilogy, turn them on and you may discover something new.

No comments: