Saturday, November 12, 2005

Bright Eyes Concert

Alrighty, time to talk about last night's concert. First, Jodie and I closed up the fundraiser early and went off to Omaha. I was happy because I got to be preppy in a way. We had to stop at Will's to drop off something and to get more precise directions. He left a note: "Jodie Matt's". That's all that was needed. We went over to Matt's and saw Jen's ring. They said they were going to Kobe Steakhouse of Japan and invited us along. I hadn't been there in like 4-5 years so it was awesome. I had Chicken and Crabmeat. Jen was learning how to use chopsticks and she got a trainer thingy and was happy. The food was so good. Matt made the chef do a volcano. I commented that we were having a dinner and a show, then another show.

We went to the Orpheum for the show and it was my first time being there since 4th grade. The first guy was pretty good. He kinda suffers the opening act curse where he was good but eclipsed by the later bands that you remember like Number One Fan was. David Dondero was great. He was hilarious. I wanted his CD but the one there didn't have his Pre-Invasion Jitters song but I found it online. Spoon was good also. Their set felt backwards to me. The song I liked the most were the first ones and the later ones felt droning and repetitive. Still, they were good and want to hear how their album sounds. Then Bright Eyes took the stage. I was expecting most of the songs to be from Digital Ash but they played a nice mix from their albums. Jodie was happy they played Nothing Gets Crossed Out which is her anthem right now. Conor is so funny. Guys from the balcony would yell stuff at him but then he would always say, "Thank you, thank you so much," between each song. He also said the last time he was at the Orpheum, he was graduating high school so he took the time to recreate the experience. At one point they all went offstage but the house lights were still off so it took about 5 slow-claps to get them back on stage. I was considering getting a T-shirt but I didn't have cash on had and I should hold back on my expenditures for a while. On the way out I saw Matt and Shaun and that was cool. I tried seeing if Nikki was there but she didn't answer.

On the way back I was getting tired at about 2am so I just listened to Jodie's stories the way back up. Of course, DSAX and Griswold were still awake at 3:30 when we got back.

No comments: