Wednesday, March 08, 2006

To Lincoln!

On Tuesday Daniele, Megan, Book Lady, Steph and I spent the day in Lincoln. We first went to Morrill Hall down at UNL. It was weird to see all those students going to class as we were on spring break. Is it weird that we choose to go to another college during break? Anyways the museum was neat but it's weird to see all these animals we saw yesterday, alive. It's been a while since I had been there but I thought it was really neat. We then headed back to the car to go to Pioneers Park to eat. There were some playground equipment so we got to feel young again by seizing control of the "castle" I wanted to go on the merry-go-round but I knew it would make me sick after I ate so I went on the swings which hurt adults. I eventually went on the merry-go-round but Daniele wouldn't stop spinning and I did get nauseous. Go figure. I laid down for a while and mainly recovered. We then were going to see the columns in the park but Daniele doesn't understand the concept of a roundabout. We went through twice (which didn't help anything) and she went down the exit lane. She was about to go back when we finally said that no one cared anymore and we left.


We then went to Trade-A-Tape Comics and looked at what they had. We then went to Bluestem Books which has used, rare, and out of print books by the plenty. That was neat and they had chairs for me to sit in. I picked up The DaVinci Code for cheap because I know I'll be reading it at some point. Megan bought a crap load and it was hard to get Book Lady to leave. It was cool because both Trade-A-Tape and Bluestem had WillyCon posters up as well as Krypton and Dragon's Lair yesterday.


We then went to the Unicameral with 30 minutes to spare. We went to the top and saw Lincoln and the upper rotunda. We then went down to the main rotunda and foyer and saw the busts. I felt like a tour guide because I knew a lot of information about the chambers and the Nebraska Supreme Court. We also found the Nebraska State Library on the 3rd floor that Daniele wanted to find. If you need any retentive information on law in various sates, go there. We then left and walked outside to the statue of Lincoln and talked for a while. I wish we had more time and went to the stores after the Capitol but no one thinks. We then went on an errand for Megan and returned to her house. We read our comics for a while as we waited for Megan's mom to show up to see if she could talk her into going out to eat. She didn't show up so we went to the mall. We spent a while there until we got tired and we left.


Book Lady kept saying that Nebraska has a lot going for it that Nebraskans don't realize and it's true. Our capitol building is one of the neatest and most artistic buildings in the nation and I would love to spend more time there.

No comments: