Thursday, March 09, 2006

Comic Store Review

I'm bored and I've got some break left so I will review the area comic book stores. These are the only ones I know of and I have been to so if I missed any, let me know because I'd love to check them out.

ACME Comics and Collectibles
Sioux City's comic book shop is basically the only place to go when I'm in Wayne. Luckily, it has a great and various selection. They have a small amount of archives but a large array of current comics on display. I like how they categorize the comics not just by publisher, but by topic. There's a Spider-Man wall, an X-Men wall, and a Star Wars wall which makes finding things easy. They have a decent supply of gaming supplies also, enough to get what you need. They are also the only place I've seen Dungeons & Dragons Clue. They obviously have a good amount of collectibles including the HeroClix Galactus and a great deal of statuary. Plus, they come to WillyCon so I support them as well. On a nerdy note, I love the double-sided tape they use on their comics. They are the only place to use it instead of simply taping the bag shut. This keeps tape off the comics and prevented the bag from warping. On a bad note, they don't allow you to "feel up" any booster boxes and just hand you one that you're supposed to buy. I don't like this and I am more apt to check boxes for the one that is most likely to have the piece I need then take one at random.

VFG Comics
Fremont's only comic book store is one that you might miss if you didn't know about it. It's a relatively new and small store so I try to hit it first to give them my business. They have a good amount of comics but don't typically subscribe to limited series. For example, they didn't have Books of Doom #4 but they did have Justice #2, both of which I was looking for. A nice convenience is the fact that they bag and board all their comics, including the new releases. Usually I try to get them bagged unless the comic is a cheap-o and when it's automatically in a bag, it helps. They are not a library so don't expect to read anything there. They have little archives but they may surprise you with what they have. They also have gaming supplies and sell a tiny amount of individual miniatures. They're small, but I would love to see them grow. They are also much closer to where I live and if I can find it there, I'd prefer to get it there.

Dragon's Lair Comics
When I first got to this Omaha store, I described it as a mini-WillyCon. Dragon's Lair has the best mix of gaming and comics in Omaha. Also, they have 2 locations, so they have enough storage space for comics that one store can't hold. The big thing I love about them is the huge amount of individual miniatures for all games. They will every once in a while get a super rare gem of a fig that tempts me. They also have a lot of boosters and buy in bulk; both stores do. The Millard store is smaller but has a decent selection and the most miniatures. The Blondo store has more comics and a large amount of miniatures, too. I also noticed the Blondo store has a ton of manga there. Unfortunately, they bag most of their stuff including their trade paperbacks so there's no reading them there. They do leave out the new releases to read though.

Krypton Comics
The big one. This Omaha store has the largest selection of comics in the area. They have so many archives that if they don't have the comic or any of its titles, it must not exist. They also have a ton of action figures. The "Star Wars Wall" as I dub it is the whole back of the store with action figures from all eras. There's also a good amount of Star Wars collectibles there as well. They also have action figures from most of the movies and TV shows that were comic related. They have a limited amount of individual miniatures, though. But their selection is well worth the drive.

Coliseum Gaming & Collectibles

Coliseum is kinda a drive being in La Vista but is an interesting place of note. They have no comics and focus on gaming. For focusing on gaming, they seem to lack in surplus to the likes of Dragon's Lair. It may be because the boosters are bought more frequently there. They also really don't sell individual miniatures. One plus is that they sell food there such as Hot Pockets and whatnot. Hungy Hungry Gamers. They have a ton of tables and usually several different games at once.

Ground Zero Comics
Now, I've only been there once because it's a drive deeper into Omaha for me, so I'm not going to destroy them. They have a good amount of comics and a large amount of games. Not so much in miniatures, but more of Munchkin and Zombies. If I had time and the urge, I would go there again, but usually the other Omaha stores will take care of what I need first.

Trade-A-Tape Comic Center
The Lincoln store was very neat. They had an amount of Comics like Dragon's Lair's Millard location and like ACME, they categorized by hero for some comics. They are basically comic-only and I didn't see any gaming. Their comic selection was good as well but honestly, there was nothing that would make me go to Lincoln rather than Omaha to purchase anything. If I was in Lincoln, that's where I would go and probably wouldn't go to Omaha and if I were to find myself in Lincoln loose again, I would go there again.

Best Comic Quality: ACME Comics and Collectibles
Most Comics: Krypton Comics
Best Gaming Quality: Dragon's Lair Comics
Most Gaming: Coliseum Gaming & Collectibles/Dragon's Lair Comics

No comments: