Saturday, March 12, 2005

What I've learned so far

OK, I'm going to vent for a while but I need to do it. I'm going to talk about one of my cousins on my mom's side. She's a year younger than me and has quite the journey. I'm going to try to be as objective as possible and I do realize that I have her siblings' sites listed but I don't mind talking about her.

Now for some background. My cousin started last year at UNK. She visited Wayne but thought it was boring (true that) and she liked Kearney. She drove home every weekend while she was there. Granted my brother drove home every weekend too, but he was in Beatrice which is much, much closer. At the end of the semester she decided to transfer to Southeast Community College in Lincoln and live in an apartment. By the way, her parents are paying every step of the way. Now she says that she doesn't like the teachers and wants to go to UNL. I also hear she wants to move in with two guys and possibly another girl. And the parents are fine with this. She still has no major.

OK, One thing I've learned from college is that everything in college is up to you, there is no one to blame. If you don't like the teachers, point one, who cares, they're going to be gone next semester. And point two, you gotta realize that they don't care about you. If you don't like them you got to make the class interesting and pay attention to get better grades because they won't help you. My second rant is to the parents. I have nothing against transferring to another college but what a weak reason. "I don't like the town." OK, you're not there for the town, you're there for the college. She should have known that Kearney was too far away for her when she visited. Also, I consider my parents buying an apartment to be a reward for doing something good at college. I'm sorry, but switching colleges is not a reward. If I wanted an apartment, my parents would have me pay for it. And I know she won't like UNL. The classes will be too hard or the teachers will hate her.

Here's my psychic vision for her future. She'll leave UNL and maybe the parents will have her stay at home in Fremont. She'll go to UNO, not like it and maybe go to Midland before she gives up on college. She'll move to Washington state to be with her favorite Uncle Joe and will have completed her transformation into one of our aunts or uncles that have moved to the coast and lost contact that she has despised for so long. She was always planning family reunions to get the coastals out here but they all failed and she will become just like them.

OK, I'm done, but I may add more when I think of it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for venting!!!!