Wednesday, March 23, 2005

My Thoughts on Venom in Spider-Man 3

(I wrote this a while ago, but due to yesterday's announcement of Thomas Haden Church playing Spider-Man 3's unknown villian, I decided now is as good as any to post it.)

When I get bored, I take a look at the IMDb entry for Spider-Man 3. The forums usually go into these topics such as "Venom's in, 100%" or "My great idea" all having to do with Venom. Personally, I love the character, he's cool, but I just don't see it happening.

The movies convey this sense of realism, and usually all it takes to accept the villian's ability is the acceptance of one thing about them that does not exist. Green Goblin had the Goblin formula because I think the glider is pretty plausible. You have to believe that this stuff can make you strong, but mess up your mind which is not too hard to grasp. Doctor Octopus had really the fusion machine to accept. It's not too hard to grasp, humanity has seen the sun for eons, can we duplicate it? The arms might be a stretch but in layman's terms it makes sense to control the reaction. For Venom to work, you have to accept that aliens exist. Wow!

It doesn't help that the fans' scripts always include Carnage in Spider-Man 4. One at a time. Tobey and Kirsten don't really want to continue after 3, so why even think about it. It may be fun to kill off MJ, but how 'bout using her while she's here. Plus, if the series goes too long, it may drag on, regardless of a cool villain.

They probably will do Green Goblin again and Venom is basically an enhanced Spider-Man, so we'd be looking at no new powers of any kind. And even if they did do Venom, the hype created by the fans would be so big that the movie would never satisfy them, i.e. Star Wars Episode I.

Basically it boils down to simplicity. Harry as the Green Goblin makes sense with the existing story and Lizard wouldn't hurt anything. I also heard the comment that they want a celebrity to play villians. I'm sorry, but how long has Alfred Molina been a major celebrity? No offense, he's a great actor, but he's no major celebrity.

No comments: