Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Day 7 – Ios

Today we planned on taking a boat trip to reach some of the beaches that were inaccessible by road. However, the captain told our director that he was apprehensive about the weather and urged us to cancel. So instead we went by bus to Mylopotas beach just south of Chora. I didn’t think I’d like sitting on a beach relaxing and doing nothing but it was just what I needed. I’ve had a lot of stress at times and this is awesome to just not have a care in the world. I chilled on the beautiful beach listening to my iPod. I even played some sand volleyball which was fun. We played with a Greek basketball player who would sometime kick the ball like a football (soccer) player. I then shared a lunch with Shana and Tamara. I then relaxed with them on the beach. After a while we took a bus back to the hotel. I met up with Lance and Jared who were heading with Sarah and Chari to see Homer’s Grave. The taxi would be expensive so we looked into renting a car or an ATV. But they weren’t too excited about have as much of us in one car or renting multiple vehicles so we called the cabs. It cost €50 to get there and unfortunately most of the group did not have the money for the second cab so I went with Lance and the girls. The ride was long and well worth the €50. The views are amazing from the roads and the site is amazing coming from a social science major. On the way back, the taxi driver lets us stop for photos of the cities of the island from the distant road. We stopped off in Chora and found an Italian pizza place which was delicious and different, obviously, from the Hut. I think I got some sand in my feet from the beach because it is hurting and irritated so I headed toward the hotel. I stopped by a boutique on the way and found a neat Greek t-shirt. The owner was British and very helpful and friendly. I was wearing a Hollister tee and she had not heard of the brand and complemented me on my shirt. That made me happy, especially when I was playfully teased the other day for mixing styles while wearing another Hollister shirt with a “punk” bag. I found the San Francisco girls again and talked for a while before heading back down the mountain.





No comments: