Sunday, May 27, 2007

Day 5 – Santorini

After I woke up I had a small breakfast of bread, jelly, and juice with Dan and Holly. After that I headed down to the beachfront to see it by day. I bought a souvenir ouzo bottle and filled it with black sand. While we waited we watched Greek morning TV which our tour guide described as a cleavage festival. Then we headed to Fira, the main city situated on the edge of the massive volcanic caldera for our walking tour. The caldera is amazing! After touring the city Steph, Lucy, Zaira, and I visited the museums. Then I found Heather and had a lamb gyro. I picked up some postcards and we visited some shops. I then visited the main church in town which is so fantastic inside. Heather visited the main museum as I filled out postcards. I mailed them and stopped at an Internet café to check in on the world. We then took a taxi back to Kamari with Shea and two girls from San Francisco. I went off to find a theatre because I saw one was playing Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End but I couldn’t find the one mentioned in the poster before we left on our bus tour. We traveled to the southern tip of the caldera for some photos. Then we went to Santo Wines for a tasting. I hate alcohol so I just hung on to the glass smelling the horrid beverage. John showed us where the cruise ship Sea Diamond sunk in April that he was on. He believes it was purposely sunk rather than salvaged so the company could collect €50,000,000 in insurance. Then we went to Oia at the other tip of the island for the famous sunset. It was phenomenal but we were rushed to return to the bus to leave before everyone else crowed the only road out of town. I went back to Kamari rather than remain at Fira and roamed the beachfront looking for the theatre again. As I was walking back I found the bus stop where we left this morning which I was trying to locate and not too far from there I found the theatre. By then it was 10:15 and the showing was at 10:30 so I opted not to return to hotel to see if anyone else wanted to go. The theatre was small, yet very neat. The film was in the English language, but had Greek subtitles. There was a girl sitting next to me who was text messaging through most of the movie which was very annoying, but ignorable. Halfway through and rather unexpectedly, there was an intermission. It was odd and it confused some Americans sitting in front of me. But I guess it was a long movie and a good way to sell more concessions. I was a little surprised to see them bring wine glasses into the showing. The movie got out at 1:30 and I walked back to the hotel. I know going to a movie is something that I could do in America but the differences in how they are shown are very intriguing to me.





No comments: