Saturday, May 26, 2007

Day 4 – Ferry to Santorini

Today the day was spent mostly on the ferry/cruise to Santorini. Because we booked somewhat late, Zaira and I had to take a later ferry apart from the group. Everyone else woke up at 5 and after they had gone, I could not get back to sleep because of anxiety. So I mailed my postcards at Larissa Station and watched th e Greek music channel, MAD. Their music is a combination of hits from around the world. I never expected to hear some of our current hits in Greece. The taxi to Pireaus, the port city, took us by 2 modern stadiums built for the 2004 Olympics. Our ferry, the Diagoras, is huge. Our ship did not seem as packed as the others said there’s would be. It was a nine-hour trip but at least we could move around, unlike the flights. I am amazed by how close the Greek Isles are to each other. There was never a clear horizon on that cruise. Our ferry stopped by Paros and Naxos before Santorini. By the time we got in it was 11:00 pm and we were somewhat tired. We found our taxi and headed up the winding roads of the port to get to Kamari. When we arrived, we headed back with John to the group down at the black sand beachfront. I expected them to have done the walking tour already but they were going to wait for us. That was nice. I didn’t stay too long and headed back to the hotel to get more sleep. Our shower had no curtain because of drunk tourists continually ripping them down so that was a little odd but I managed.

No comments: