Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Random Social

Dan, Andie, Chris, and I were talking for a while on Monday about issues in the Sci-Fi club and we got down to a few points. First, we thought that the tables and circle arrangement we had last year works better than the rows of chairs so we decided to rearrange for the next meeting. We also were discussing the issue of changing the name to remove the stigma but we couldn't think of anything. We also talked about my idea to have two categories for the costume contest: Home-made and assembled. I love my Wonka costume and I didn't sew anything but I didn't buy it at a costume shop. When it's just homemade, the only members who enter are Jen, Rachel, Jodie, and Laura but if we opened it to anyone who wants to, it will be more successful. Anyways, Dan got on his rant about girls' night and how he doesn't like fracturing the club for socials. I told him we have a lot of socials of sorts with the Haunted House and end of the Year parties but he doesn't go. He also didn't like being off-campus and on weekends. So I said that it won't happen unless we make it happen. I told him on Wednesday, after ACM, people can come to Gardner, bring movies and games and just butt around. We got it announced in the meeting.

So I knew we wouldn't be done before 5:30 because it just doesn't work that way. Megan and Steph showed up and others remained but Dan went to go eat. I went and got the Risks and Star Wars Trivial Pursuit. We played Risk for a while with missions and Roger won while we watched Batman Begins. I knew there wasn't going to be an awesome turnout because it's so random and sudden so I wasn't expecting much. Some left and we played Trivial Pursuit only for a little while when they kicked us out. I would love to do it again, but it will have to be somewhere else such as my dorm or something so we have enough time. The thing that bugs me is that Dan left and never came back. He was the one that was complaining and knew and said he could be there when we decided it on Monday but he didn't even stay. So if he ever complains about the fact that we don't really do socials under his circumstances he has no ground to talk because he designed this social and didn't go. If he doesn't complain, he knows now why we don't really have that many socials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a number of tribulations with some of the facts contained in the preceding entry.

First, the original purpose behind girl's night has already been met. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the original intent was to encourage the involvement of the few female members we had as it had been observed that as a predominantly male club the female members seemed to be having trouble assimilating. This is no longer the case so the event is obsolete and we should be doing more club socials to improve things as a whole rather than fractioning it off by sex. (note: I have attended nearly all of the girl's nights)

Moving on, the comment on the "socials of sorts" was not made during the conversation we had on Monday. This is irrelevant, however, a menial detail. The part that bothered me was that it implied that I have never been involved in the activities listed, which is entirely untrue. I believe it stems in the fact that I was not active at all in this year's haunted house; however in the past three years that I've been a member I was there every single day of the haunted house as well as every work day. Additionally, I have attended nearly all of the end of the year parties that have been held since I became a member as a freshman.

Wednesday's social as Kevin mentioned was spur of the moment and I did leave to go eat. What is not mentioned is that I said a number of times that I was loaded up with homework and that I wouldn't be able to attend. Instead after eating I went to the library and worked on homework (which is still not completed) for about five hours after which I went and filled out a survey (which took an hour and a half) that is required for Andie and I to meet with the individual who will be performing our marriage ceremony. This put the time at around 12:30am. (I will also be in the library tonight most likely for 3-5 hours again)

I hope this clears things up.

Kevin does make a good point in that if I want these things to change I will have to take the first steps. So at the next meeting I will present a number of ideas for socials as well as a few other random things.

Kevin said...

And as I hope I already said, I'm not mad and I do realize that things do come up and that Dan is incredibly busy with his classes and tutoring which did prevent him from being incredibly active with this year's haunted house as he was in the past. I'm also not saying that Dan was not present, but I mentioned that we do have group socials throughout the year. There may not be many of them, but they are there. I apologize if I came off as saying that our former-president is no longer involved with the club because that is not true. I also appreciate his comments as well as comments on anyone else. I am also slightly upset at Faye and Book Lady for not going when they had time but I understand if they don't want to. I'm not mad or hate them, I just am a little frustrated but I get over it. I am excited to see what random socials will come out next though...