Saturday, November 03, 2007

Third-Party Wii Games

I rented Spider-Man: Friend or Foe and Tony Hawk's Proving Ground for this weekend for the Wii. It's been a while since I played the Wii and since Live has been laggy, it's nice to try something else. Spider-Man is fun, it's like a cross between LEGO Star Wars and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. It's fun, simple, but far too easy. It's a game that's impossible to get mad at and a good rent because it's so short.

Tony Hawk is a different game. It's crossplatform so it's on other systems as well as Friend or Foe. However, the Wii controls for it are a bit freaky. Unlike every other game, you don't want to hold the control stick in an upward position. If you do, you'll manual when you go down and that's frustrating when all you want to do is slow down. The motions can be a bit non responsive, like aggro kick. To do that, you must move the remote down. Sometimes he kicks, sometimes he keeps skating along. I haven't figured that out.

So I've figured out something, something I'm surprised game publishers haven't quite grasped on to. Wii motion controls are fun but some games (I'm talking to you, Spider-Man 3) have horrid motion controls. Mortal Kombat seems to be one of the few to get what I'm trying to say. Along with tacking on motion controls, add classic controller connectivity. That way if you're controls suck, you can still play the game normally like on any other system. The controller has two analog sticks, 4 buttons in a diamond pattern, directional pad, two triggers and nearby buttons. It's a regular controller. That way, I could play Tony Hawk like it was on the PS2 if I'm not getting the hang of the motions.

No comments: