Wednesday, June 13, 2007

My Ελλινικά Review of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End"

Now, I'm a pretty big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean so when I saw that it was playing in Kamari, I tried my best to hook myself up. No surprises here, Jack survives the second movie. Just look to the left. So basically Barbossa, Elizabeth, Will, and the gang are trying to bring Jack back from Davy Jones' Locker. Barbossa needs Jack's piece of eight to free Calypso, Elizabeth's motives are unclear, Will is still trying to save his father and going after Jack somehow falls into that plan, that along with double-crossing everyone in his path including his fiancée.

I really don't like what they've done with Will's character. He was so virtuous and honest in the first movie and now he's an ambiguous, whiny piece of crap. Will works with Sao Feng to give Jack up for the Black Pearl, but then Feng has a deal with Beckett already. Are you following this? And now that the awesome Davy Jones has become the ultimate tool of a villain to Beckett, the pirates must unite to stop them. They go as far to even elect a...excuse me...it's hard to type...a Pirate King. I never knew pirates were so organized. "Hang the rules and hang the code" and whatnot. And of course, this royalty goes to...um...Captain Elizabeth Swann. Bottom line, the movie is too silly for its own good.

The first one is phenomenal. The second one is fun, but leads into this one. It's not bad, but it's not good. It's like a Fantastic Four to me. It's fun to watch, but unlike the others you can't take it too seriously. One thing I miss from the first one is how pirates were the only people who believed in anything supernatural. Even the Black Pearl itself was a myth to the majority of the British. In the second movie they made Beckett know a lot of the stuff he shouldn't believe. OK, so he's been around to know better. Now, for whatever reason, Governor Swann is the one to find out the new information concerning Davy Jones. Along those lines, what is Davy Jones' motivation other than not to die. He becomes a subordinate because he doesn't want to stop. Plus I love the inferred reason to remove the Kraken as a threat for this movie.

On the plus side, this movie has the best soundtrack of the three which is nice. But as I said, don't take it seriously and just enjoy the film or else you will hate the movie. Oh, and please don't make more. You're just cheapening the franchise.

My rating: 8 out of 10
DVD-worthy: I'll get it, but I won't drive at midnight for it by any means.

No comments: