Sunday, September 03, 2006

Norfolk vs. Sioux City

I love Sioux City. I used to go to Norfolk for everything until Sioux City came into view. Recently though, I've been finding out that Norfolk just disappoints me often. All it has going for it is Hastings, Sonic, and a closer Wal-Mart. Hastings is a big guess as to whether they have anything. If they do have it, it will cost you at least a testicle to purchase it. We midnight run to that Wal-Mart because it is closer but other than that, I find myself rarely in Norfolk.

Sioux City has ACME, which is awesome, and Rainbow which has the things ACME might not have. They also have the Dowry which is so unique for the area. They have a good mall with a Hot Topic, Spencers, and Barnes and Noble. They have Chick-fil-A! And recently, they have Best Buy and Old Navy. It's only tacking on another 10 minutes to get there and the road does get curvy, but I end up there more than Norfolk. And now that South Sioux has a super Wal-Mart on the way to ACME, I'm more appreciative. And most of this is in Iowa, too, which is amazing that I like going there for some reason.

And at times, Sioux City even makes Omaha cry all the way home to its mother. This weekend, I wanted to pick up Superman: Birthright while I was in Omaha. I went to PhantaC just to hope they had it. I went to Dragon's Lair with no luck, and also Barnes and Noble. Nothing! I was too lazy/tired/weak/stubborn to go into Krypton which probably had it but it was on the wrong side of town. I figured at least one of these places would have it since both ACME and Barnes and Noble in Sioux City had it. Of course, Norfolk's selection is pitiful, unless you want just Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 11 or Ultimate X-Men Vol. 8 with nothing else. Sioux City is also the place where you could go just to see on the small chance they may have a Smallville Clark "super-angst" Kent action figure and be able to find one at both ACME and Rainbow for cheaper than online. What a world!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

dI know you are dissing on my hometown, but I have to say I agree, from Wayne, it is better to go to Sioux City if you want to shop. But it is still better to go to Norfolk if you just want to go to Wal-Mart! It is still the midnight run place to go! You also have to remember when comparing the two towns that Sioux City is much bigger than Norfolk (83,000 compared to 24,000) so of course Sioux City would have the better shopping. Now the Omaha Sioux City comparison is interesting...

Jodie :)

Anonymous said...

Agreed! Norfolk is for those times you just need to find something fast while Sioux City is the place for the wasting of the time and COMICS! ;_; ran out of comics to read here. . .

D_Marx

Emerald said...

I'd have to agree. Norfolk sucks when it comes to comic stores. But St. Joseph is much worse and it's the size of Sioux City (heck, south end even smells like Sioux City). There's only one comic book store here and their selection is horrible. But there is a Borders here (they just built it about six months ago) so I guess that makes up for the lack of big comic book stores. And Kansas City is only a half hour away.

Angie

Anonymous said...

I do like Sioux City. It has everything! Plus, from Wayne to Sioux City to Lyons and back to Wayne makes a triangle!! :)